FIRST DAYS ABROAD - WHAT TO DO

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 Cristian 0 Comments

A few people asked me what to do on their first days abroad and I realized I never wrote anything about that. Now, I start by saying that for me it wasn't hard to be abroad. I was really excited and I didn't feel sad or homesick at all. I was happy to be where I was and I was trying to be as calm as I could about anything. The only thing I can say is that I felt awkward the very first day of school, which wasn't really about classes, it was more about being introduced to teachers, classmates and about attending an assembly in the main gym.


1. ASK FOR HELP.

Even if you are confident enough to do your own things sometimes it is good to ask for help. I had a map of the school to help me find my classes but I asked a girl where the library was so that I could get to know someone new.

2. DON'T STAY IN YOUR ROOM.

Some of you might feel embarassed of your poor language skills: don't be. Your host family will appreciate you trying to connect with them, regardless your ability to do so: It will get better day by day. Do not stay in your room because you feel out of place, hang out with your family in the living room instead, watch a movie together, go grocery shopping together or get a cup of coffee but do not skype your family back home every day, that won't help you settle.

3. DO SPORTS.

If you are like me, you don't like sports and prefer to spend time differently, but if you join a team there's a better chance to meet people. I chose to do tennis even tho I wasn't good, I actually got better and I enjoyed experiencing something new.

4. TALK TO PEOPLE.

If someone comes up to you and asks something, don't cut the conversation by simply responding but keep the conversation alive, one thing leads to another and you might end up having lunch together.

5. BE INVOLVED AT SCHOOL.

Sometimes students don't talk to you because they hang out with the same people and don't see the point of getting to know an exchange student. You gotta show people why you are interesting. Be involved at school, take fun classes and be part of extra activities. The more you are around and the more they will talk to you.

6. BREAK THE STEREOTYPES.

Some students may think you are from a 'weird' country due to the fact that they believe in stereotypes. Exaggerating: if you are from Italy your grandpa is part of mafia; If you are white you can't be Brazilian; If you are German you are related to Hitler and so on. 
I had the chance to do some presentations for my classes about my homecountry and hometown so that americans could see where I was used to live before arriving in the States.

7. ACT LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Last but not least, always act like you know what you are doing or what is going on around you. Even if you are a shy person, act like you are an outgoing one. Show your interest on meeting people and people will reach out to you. Don't be the weird guy who says no one talks to him but at the same time doesn't do anything to change the situation. Your fellow students are in their hometown, living their usual life, the exchange student is the person who has to build up his experience.

PS It has already been a year since I came back from exchange, but my host brother came to visit me this summer and we toured Italy together: watch the video!

- Cris

0 comments: